Rob Walls connects the dots between Isaiah’s challenging role in a chaotic and despairing society, the skepticism he faced, and the ultimate fulfillment of his prophecies in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Follow along in Isaiah 9.
- Isaiah faced an extremely difficult assignment. He was a prophet in a time of spiritual waywardness.
- Isaiah’s prophecy came in the context of a world filled with despair and conflict.
- The humble circumstances of Jesus’ birth contrasted the impact of His birth.
- Isaiah’s description of Jesus’ titles and roles are powerful commentaries on His character.
- God’s promises endure despite human doubt.
- The unchanging nature of Jesus is the only source of lasting peace. Ultimately, Isaiah’s message is about Jesus Christ – His humble birth, His sacrificial death and triumphant resurrection. He is the fulfillment of Isaiah’s prophecy and the only path to true peace.
Questions for Further Study
- In what ways does understanding the nature of Jesus as the Prince of Peace impact our daily lives?
- What anxieties or concerns do you need to bring before God today?
- How does the peace of God differ from the world’s understanding of peace? (Cf. John 16:33; Philippians 4:7)